.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, September 19, 2008
Favorite Ingredients Friday!

About a week and a half ago, I was given a ziploc bag with some mushy beige stuff and a slice of banana bread. It was wonderful! My co-worker had passed on some Amish Friendship Bread starter. I took care of it daily, and by Wednesday, I was all set to bake. I fed my starter, divided it into four batches, gathered all my ingredients, mixed in the eggs, and realized I was out of vegetable oil. Argh!!! To make matters worse, I had nothing I could substitute, and it was after 8 pm. Oh well, I'll try again in eight more days.

Even though my first attempt didn't quite work out, I'm still excited about having this starter. I went online and found tons of recipes for it. Most are sweet breads, but I found some savory as well. I also found a recipe to begin your own starter.

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3 cups white sugar, divided 3 cups milk

Day 1 - In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a one-gallon ziploc bag, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly.

Day 2 - Smoosh the bag.

Day 3 - Smoosh the bag.

Day 4 - Smoosh the bag.

Day 5 - Smoosh the bag.

Day 6 - Add one cup flour, one cup sugar, and one cup milk. Smoosh the bag.

Day 7 - Smoosh the bag.

Day 8 - Smoosh the bag.

Day 9 - Smoosh the bag.

Day 10 - Add one cup flour, one cup sugar, and one cup milk. Smoosh the bag. Now put one cup in a bowl and one cup each into three one-gallon ziploc bags. Give two to friends. Keep one and consider this day one.

In your bowl of starter, add
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl, combine
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 - (5.1 oz) box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup nuts, optional

Combine wet and dry ingredients. Pour into two greased loaf pans (or 1 13x9 pan or 1 bundt pan), and bake at 325 for one hour.

There are many variations with different pudding flavors. Some leave it out entirely. Just Google Amish Friendship bread and you'll find dozens.

Note: The instructions say to use a wooden spoon and no metal. I was actually using my rubber spoonula. You can do a good job mixing the ingredients just by smooshing the bag. I can't imagine that a few minutes with a whisk or mixer would hurt it though. The starter can be frozen if you don't give it all away. I've also seen some recipes for reducing the amount, so you only end up with enough to bake and keep.

Be sure to visit the Favorite Ingredients Friday home to find more great recipes!

Past FIF recipes:
Ice Cream in a Bag
Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
Chocolate Pudding Fudge Cake
Pasta, Pesto, and Peas
Basic Beef Starter, Plus
Pineapple Upside Down Biscuits
Tomato Chicken
Greatest Hits: Enchiladas de Pollo and Old-fashioned Peanut Butter Fudge
Almost Cabbage Rolls
Guacamole
German Chocolate Pie
Carne Asada & Sour Cream Tortilla Casserole
Dorito Salad
Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes
Apple Cake
Mocha
Vegetable Beef Soup
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Raspberry Pie & White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Pie
Breakfast Granola
Shrimp Creole
Lazy Man's Lasagna & Apple Cake
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Jim's Favorite Jelly Cookie
Eye of Round Roast
Mozzarella & Tomato Sandwich
Marcia's Taco Soup
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Cajun Baked Catfish
Jim's Snickers Pancake
Crawfish Monica
Grilled Meats and Vegetables over Saffron Orzo
Crockpot Red Beans
Better Than Almost Anything Cake
Fruity Sangria
Outrageous Brownies
Enchiladas de Pollo
Lescó
Catalina Chicken
Croissant French Toast
Corned Beef
Sloppy Joe, Mac 'n Cheese Casserole
Shredded Chicken
Baked Bean & Burger Casserole
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
Crab Rangoon
Sausage con Queso and Ro-tel Cheese Dip
Blueberry Multigrain Coffeecake
Banana Bread
Bananas Foster
Old-Time Beef Stew
White Chocolate Snack Mix
Gorilla Bread
Ginger Shrimp
Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Dianna said...

I remember making this as a child; I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for sharing this fun tradition.

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I remember this too! I need to try this again. :)

Thanks for participating in my FIF recipe exchange today!

Let me know how your bread turns out.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG