.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, June 01, 2007
Favorite Ingredients Friday - Freezer Edition


I'm hoping to get some good recipes today. Overwhelmed with Joy is doing a special theme edition of Favorite Ingredients Friday. Today's theme is freezer foods. I love this idea in theory. I'm just bad about putting it in practice. I freeze lasagna, but I would really like to get in the habit of making double and freezing one for more things. My lasagna recipe is pretty basic. I also thought about sharing a taco soup recipe that freezes well, but doesn't everyone already have that? Then I thought of this recipe.

Now, Jim is going to get upset. He does whenever I post a recipe of something I haven't made in a long time. This recipe falls under that description. It used to be my go-to recipe. It always came out great, and everyone always loved it. I would make double and freeze one. It's not difficult to make, but it does have a lot of ingredients so I liked to knock out a couple of them. In fact, the first home-cooked meal I served Jim was this recipe. I haven't made it in years because I couldn't find canned tomatillos when I first moved to the Mid-West. They're all over the place now. I have no excuse. I will be making this soon. I love this dish. It is not spicy at all. You could add some jalapeno to the cream sauce if you want to "kick it up a notch." I like to serve it with Mexican rice, refried beans, and a guacomole salad.

Enchiladas de Pollo

1. 2 whole chicken breasts
2. Water
3. ½ small onion
4. 1 bay leaf
5. 8 peppercorns
6. Salt
7. ½ med onion, chopped
8. 3 T grated Parmesan cheese
9. 4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)
10. 1 (4 oz) can green chiles
11. 1 (13 oz) can tomatillos, drained
12. ¼ c cilantro
13. ¾ c whipping cream
14. 1 egg
15. Salt
16. ¼ c vegetable oil
17. 8 corn tortillas
18. 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)

Place chicken breasts in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add wter to cover, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and salt to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until tender. Cool chicken in broth. Drain; reserving broth for another use.

Shred chicken, and mix with chopped onion, Parmesan cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup). Add salt, if necessary, and set aside.

In a blender or food processor, combine green chiles, tomatillos, cilantro, whipping cream, and egg. Blend until smooth. Add salt to taste.

Preheat oven to 350. Heat vegetable oil in small skillet. Using tongs, place each tortilla in hot oil until softened, about 5 seconds. Drain on paper towels, and place 1/8 of filling in center. Roll tightly, and place seam-side down in baking dish. Pour cream sauce over top, and sprinkle remaining cup of cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.

Note: I usually double this recipe, and freeze one before baking.

Go visit Overwhelmed with Joy for more fantastic recipes!

Past FIF recipes:
Lescó
Catalina Chicken
Croissant French Toast
Corned Beef
Sloppy Joe, Mac 'n Cheese Casserole
Shredded Chicken
Baked Bean & Burger Casserole
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
Crab Rangoon
Sausage con Queso and Ro-tel Cheese Dip
Blueberry Multigrain Coffeecake
Banana Bread
Bananas Foster
Old-Time Beef Stew
White Chocolate Snack Mix
Gorilla Bread
Ginger Shrimp
Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ

Labels: ,



5 Comments:

Yum, Yum, Yummity, Yum! These sound fantastic. I can't wait to try them. My hubby will love them and I think my older boy will too. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Blogger Annie said...

This one is being bookmarked! I am guessing it will be on next week's mpm! yum. I love making two and freezing one! Thanks.

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I love this recipe! I love chicken and these sound wonderful. Thanks so much for a keeper!

Hugs!

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Tell your husband it's okay if you post recipes that you haven't made in a while. As long as you've made it at least once and liked it, that's good enough for me! :)

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Freezer Edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

I hope to see you again next Friday!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG