.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, September 22, 2006
Five Ingredients Friday


Chicken and Rice
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
water or chicken broth
1 ½ cups rice
1 bag of frozen vegetables
chicken base

Pour enough water or broth in pot to cover chicken breasts, and bring to simmering boil. Add chicken breasts and cover pot. Reduce heat so that you do not have a rolling boil. Poach chicken until cooked through, usually about 20 minutes. Remove chicken, and cut or shred into bite-size pieces.

Pour leftover liquid into measuring cup. Strain the liquid, if necessary, as you pour. Add a little olive oil to your now empty pot and heat until oil is sizzling. Pour rice into pot and stir until rice is coated with oil and starting to turn opaque. Be very careful not to burn. You can also add a handful of chopped onions at this stage. Add water or broth to measuring cup to equal slightly less than 3 cups. Pour the liquid into pot. It should sizzle. If you use water, add approximately 1 tsp of chicken base per cup of water. If you want more flavor, you can add more or add it to broth, but do it carefully as it is very salty. When the liquid comes to a boil, add frozen vegetables and bring back to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to lowest setting, and let cook until liquid is absorbed, approximately 20-25 minutes.

This is my comfort food. I “perfected” the recipe when I was single and would live for days off of this. I would swap out the type of meat and veggies and make this all the time. I especially liked the Bird’s Eye California blend in this. Fresh vegetables are even better. It’s a great way to use leftovers. I love to add a pat of butter to my serving. My husband thinks it’s okay, but too bland, so he adds hot sauce. You can also add more seasoning to the pot. I’ve added poultry seasoning, garlic & ginger, lots of other combinations. My favorite is still the original.

For more recipes, visit Overwhelmed with Joy!


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally understand why you like this so much- the possibilities are endless. Makes me wanna go clean out my fridge!

Blogger Pamela said...

Looks like it would be moist and delicious! Love the way you can change it up...a little ginger sound yummy! :)

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

This sounds yummy and wonderful plus heart healthy. Do you mind if I post this on my Recipes for Life Blog? Thanks for your consideration!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment!
I love the chicken recipe you shared - our family eats that quite often!

Blogger BlondeBrony said...

Wow. I love how easy that is. The best part is I think everyone in my house would eat it.

Blogger Rae said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing =)

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Ah, inexpensive easy to make comfort food. Life doesn't get better than that! :) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks also for participating in my Five Ingredient Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it!

Blogger Kristen said...

That sounds great! I also have a chicken and rice recipe I should do for this sometime! I've gotten some really great recipes today! This is great! :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good and is my kind of meal.
Jen

Blogger Michelle said...

sounds like a quick and easy dinner!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful, quick and easy :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just need someone to cook for me. I gues that is what it comes down to.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG