.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, January 04, 2008
Favorite Ingredients Friday!
Every year I do a lot of baking and cooking for and during the holidays. This year? Not so much. Sera has a thing right now where she must be with whomever is in the kitchen. It cuts down on cooking time. It's not just that she must be in there with you. You must also hold her. I am very limited as to how much I can do with only one hand free.

Since homemade goodies usually comprise the majority of my gifts to co-workers, etc..., I needed to come up with a quick option. I combined two granola recipes I'd found and filled up some Chinese to-go containers I had bought at Michael's after-Christmas sale last year. The bonus was that I took the leftovers to Callaway with us. My contribution to our family Christmas breakfast was vanilla yogurt, frozen berries, and my granola. An easy contribution when you're a 13-hour drive away.

Breakfast Granola

1. 8 cups oatmeal
2. 1 cup nuts (I used slivered almonds)
3. 2 cups dried fruit (I used cherry-flavored Craisins)
4. 1 cup honey
5. 2 sticks butter
6. 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.

Toss oatmeal and nuts in large disposable roasting pan*.

Pour honey into small mixing bowl; add butter. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring, until butter is melted. Add vanilla.

Toss honey-butter mixture into oatmeal and nuts. Spread evenly.

Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and add dried fruit**. Let cool completely before storing in air-tight container.

Throw away your roasting pan.

This was quick and easy to do even with a toddler underfoot, and it was delicious, too!

*Not exactly green. You can use your regular roasting pan, but during the craziness of the holidays, I enjoyed being able to dispose of my mess.

**I misread the directions and mixed my dried fruit in before baking. It came out just fine.

Go visit Overwhelmed with Joy for more fantastic recipes!

Past FIF recipes:
Shrimp Creole
Lazy Man's Lasagna & Apple Cake
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Jim's Favorite Jelly Cookie
Eye of Round Roast
Mozzarella & Tomato Sandwich
Marcia's Taco Soup
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Cajun Baked Catfish
Jim's Snickers Pancake
Crawfish Monica
Grilled Meats and Vegetables over Saffron Orzo
Crockpot Red Beans
Better Than Almost Anything Cake
Fruity Sangria
Outrageous Brownies
Enchiladas de Pollo
Lescó
Catalina Chicken
Croissant French Toast
Corned Beef
Sloppy Joe, Mac 'n Cheese Casserole
Shredded Chicken
Baked Bean & Burger Casserole
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
Crab Rangoon
Sausage con Queso and Ro-tel Cheese Dip
Blueberry Multigrain Coffeecake
Banana Bread
Bananas Foster
Old-Time Beef Stew
White Chocolate Snack Mix
Gorilla Bread
Ginger Shrimp
Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

This sounds wonderful! It is something I could eat daily!

I completely understand the handicap of having one useful hand. When my granddaughter visits...Well, let's just say I spoil her properly!

Hugs!

Blogger Michelle said...

that sounds like an easy recipe to make for breakfast!

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Wow, this sounds yummy! I'd be tempted to eat it in a bowl with some milk. :)

And boy do I understand about the "helper" in the kitchen slowing you down. I made sugar cookies again this year as Christmas gifts to the neighbors but it took me staying up until 2 AM on night to decorate the cookies while everyone else was asleep. Not so fun.

Thanks, Magi, for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

Blogger Renee said...

This sounds great! Thanks so much for sharing and for stopping by my blog.

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG