.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, March 09, 2007
Favorite Ingredients Friday - Irish Edition


Both of my maternal grandparents were Irish. That side of my family is very proudly Irish, but I must admit that I don't recall a lot of Irish recipes when I was growing up. After my grandfather retired, he discovered that he loved cooking. I moved back to New Orleans when I was 18 and lived there for about three years before going back and finishing college. It was not unusual for my grandfather to call my cousin and I and have us come over for dinner. It was ironic that this large, gruff Irish/German man who had mastered hiding his emotions became so maternal later in life. He'd worry that we were out gallivanting and not getting a good home-cooked meal. This was one of my favorites and very appropriate for today.

Abuelito’s Corned Beef

1) 3 1 / 2 – 4 lb corned beef
2) water
3) 2 T prepared mustard
4) 1 1 / 2 t horseradish
5) 2 T red wine vinegar
6) 1 / 4 c molasses

In slow cooking pot (I use a crock pot), cover corned beef with water. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours. Drain cooked corned beef; place on broiler pan. Combine mustard, horseradish, wine vinegar, and molasses. Brush on all sides of meat. Brown in 400 oven for 20 minutes or until brown. Baste often with sauce.

Go visit Overwhelmed with Joy for more fantastic Irish-themed recipes!

Past FIF recipes:
Sloppy Joe, Mac 'n Cheese Casserole
Shredded Chicken
Baked Bean & Burger Casserole
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
Crab Rangoon
Sausage con Queso and Ro-tel Cheese Dip
Blueberry Multigrain Coffeecake
Banana Bread
Bananas Foster
Old-Time Beef Stew
White Chocolate Snack Mix
Gorilla Bread
Ginger Shrimp
Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ

Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Your recipe sounds very good & very irish!
Have a great weekend.
blessings~
Annie

This recipe sounds fantastic! I'm using this for sure next weekend. Thanks so much!

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I love the story behind this recipe, about your grandfather how he cooked for his grandchildren! How sweet! I will have to try his recipe.

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- St. Patrick’s Day edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

Blogger Mya said...

Sounds delish! I just got home from work 12:30 am and I am sooo hungry! But I am going to bed. I will defintely try this one for sure....I love corn beef!

Blogger Jenn said...

Oh yummy, thanks for sharing! I love reading the story about your grandfather, too....very heartwarming!

Jenn

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG