.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, March 07, 2008
Ultimate Blog Party

Ultimate Blog Party 2008

It's party time! 5 Minutes for Mom is hosting their annual blog party with tons of fabulous prizes. What a great way to find new bloggers and win some really cool stuff. Just click on the button to get to their site.

For those of you who are new here. You can always learn 100 things about me, or you can read the Cliff Note version here.

I'm a 46-year-old woman who is happily married with one adorable child. Jim and I will be celebrating our 8th anniversary at the end of the month. Two days later, we will celebrate our first year with our daughter. We met Sera in Chongqing, China on April 2nd. Our lives haven't been the same, and I wouldn't trade one single minute...not even yesterday's afternoon meltdown. After all, cutting four molars is enough to make anyone meltdown.

I teach business and computer classes at a high school and enjoy cooking (though my husband could argue that I don't ever cook any more), reading, too much television (especially Lost!), and spending time with my family. In the spring, summer, and fall, we enjoy going to baseball games. Jim is an avid Detroit Tigers fan. He has Sera convinced, right now, that baseball is the greatest thing ever. For the most part, however, I'm still trying to figure out how to balance work, baby, housework, husband, and me time (definitely not in that order).

One of my favorite things to do is share recipes. I try to only post recipes I've actually made. I've discovered some amazing recipes by participating in this weekly cooking meme. Since today is the day for Favorite Ingredients Friday, I thought I'd add this to my intro. It seemed fitting some how.

This week's theme is Mexican. My favorite recipe is enchiladas de pollo. I've posted this in the past on this meme, so here's the link. Instead I thought I'd post some recipes that I used to use to cater an annual party back when I was in that business. I found these recipes in a little cookbook put out by Lawry's. It came out in 1991, and my copy is quite tattered, but the raves from the customers still ring in my ears.

Carne Asada

1 – 1 ¼ lb top sirloin steak
2 T vegetable oil
½ c fajita seasoning mix, prepared*
¼ c orange juice
½ t dried oregano, crushed

Pierce steak with fork on both sides, and coat with oil; place in resealable plastic bag. Mix the prepared fajita seasonings, orange juice, and oregano, and pour over steak. Marinate for 1-2 hours, turning steak occasionally. Remove steak; reserve marinade. Broil steak 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked to desired doneness, basting often with reserved marinade.

*the original recipe called for Lawry’s fajita marinade sauce. I have never seen this anywhere. We used commercial dried fajita seasonings and made it following the package directions. We then used this to marinate the meat. Use your favorite brand. You’ll have leftover marinade. I’d throw some more steak and chicken breasts in the rest of the marinade.

Sour Cream Tortilla Casserole

½ c chopped onion
2 T vegetable oil
1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and cut up
¼ c chunky salsa
1 pkg taco seasonings
12 corn tortillas
vegetable oil
¾ c chopped onion
1 lb Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 ½ c sour cream

In medium skillet, sauté ½ c chopped onion in 2 T vegetable oil until tender. Add tomatoes, salsa, and taco seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes. In small skillet, fry tortillas lightly, one at a time, in small amounts of oil, 10-15 seconds, per side. In bottom of 13x9x2 pan, pour ½ c sauce. Arrange layer of four tortillas over sauce, top with 1/3 of remaining sauce, 1/3 of remaining onion, and 1/3 of remaining cheese. Repeat layers 2 times. Spread sour cream over cheese. Bake in 325⁰ oven for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts.

Be sure to visit the Favorite Ingredients Friday home to find more great recipes!

Thanks for stopping by, and I look forward to visiting you!

Past FIF recipes:
Dorito Salad
Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes
Apple Cake
Mocha
Vegetable Beef Soup
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Raspberry Pie & White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Pie
Breakfast Granola
Shrimp Creole
Lazy Man's Lasagna & Apple Cake
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Jim's Favorite Jelly Cookie
Eye of Round Roast
Mozzarella & Tomato Sandwich
Marcia's Taco Soup
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Cajun Baked Catfish
Jim's Snickers Pancake
Crawfish Monica
Grilled Meats and Vegetables over Saffron Orzo
Crockpot Red Beans
Better Than Almost Anything Cake
Fruity Sangria
Outrageous Brownies
Enchiladas de Pollo
Lescó
Catalina Chicken
Croissant French Toast
Corned Beef
Sloppy Joe, Mac 'n Cheese Casserole
Shredded Chicken
Baked Bean & Burger Casserole
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
Crab Rangoon
Sausage con Queso and Ro-tel Cheese Dip
Blueberry Multigrain Coffeecake
Banana Bread
Bananas Foster
Old-Time Beef Stew
White Chocolate Snack Mix
Gorilla Bread
Ginger Shrimp
Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ

Labels:



10 Comments:

Blogger Jim McClain said...

She figured out for herself that baseball is the greatest thing ever. And she's RIGHT!

Hi Magi!
I LOVE "Lost" :) am waiting to watch last nights episode after I geet off the Blog Party!!! :)

I think you and I took the same trip to London/France/London!! Mine was several years earlier - I also married later - 39! Had my son at 42. My hubby is younger than me too :) He is from Indiana! I really enjoyed this read!

Come visit me at my Party - Music, Cartoons, Games and Party Favors! We’re giving away an Award-winning Stardust lullaby CD!
http://stardustlullaby.blogspot.com/2008/03/welcome-gals-to-ultimate-blog-party-at.html

Sign up on our mailing list for a chance at our monthly giveaway! www.StardustLullaby.com
Happy Partying!! Cher 

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you like coffee and reading, join me for my blog party. I review books on my blog.

For my party post have posted my recipe for a cafe mocha with a picture of my coffee machine. Oh I'm also having a contest called "how well read are you?" The prize is a gift card to Barnes & Noble

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

The balancing game between husband, child, work, you, etc.... If you figure it out MILLIONS of women will be eternally grateful! ☺

4 Molars all at once. Yes, she deserves a meltdown as do you!

The recipes sounds so fantastic. You do have some wonders that I have made and continue to make.

Have a great day!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the yummy recipes!

I'm inviting you to party with me!

Win some chocolate from my-sister-in-law and I...we blog about CHOCOLATE...me from Australia...and her from Michigan. Here's the link: http://thechocolistas.blogspot.com/2008/03/ultimate-blog-party-2008.html

What am I doing in Australia? I married an Aussie...and moved to Brisbane, leaving my family and friends and all the right-side-of-the-road drivers in America.

Win a handmade pocket place mat from my blog Comfort Joy Designs. Here's the link:
http://comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com/2008/03/ultimate-blog-party-2008.html

Want to know more about life in Australia? Visit my A Cup of Joy site where I keep up with my family and friends in America. Here's the link:
http://acupofjoy.wordpress.com/

Happy Partying!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to laugh at Jim trying to convince his entire family that they like baseball...my sweetie does that too, only about World of Warcraft.

Nice to "meet" you

Blogger Michelle said...

Hello! What are the chances that I am randomly visiting party blogs and I click on yours...I'm also a teacher and mom through adoption and living in INDIANA. Nice to meet you!!

Blogger Gerbil said...

Jacob sends his sympathies to Sara concerning the whole molar experience. And you have my sympathies on the meltdowns because I feeeeeel your pain!!!

Blogger EclecticGypsy said...

Thanks for the party. Poor baby four molars at once. Only one meltdown...I'd say that is fantastic. I know grown men who get the sniffles and think that they are dying. If you get the chance stop by my place and party with me. Brenda

Blogger Mocha with Linda said...

Nice to meet you! Wow, lots of recipes! Stop by my blog for a cup of mocha if you get the chance! Happy partying!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG