.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, February 09, 2007
Favorite Ingredients Friday - Valentine's Edition!


This week's recipe isn't tried and true, but it is what I'll be making for my Valentine sweetie this year. Last Friday night, we went out to dinner with our good friends, D & L, to announce our good news and to celebrate. We went to a new restaurant that was amazing. For some reason, it's hard to find good seafood in the midwest. I don't understand why as it's all frozen as soon as it's caught. There is no reason why we can't have good seafood here, but we generally don't. If we do find a place that prepares it well, we have to consider a second mortgage just to eat there.

The restaurant we ate at on Friday night proved to be the exception. We had an appetizer of grilled shrimp that was very nicely done, followed by one of the prettiest salads I've seen in a long time. For me, the piece de resistance was the lobster & filet entree. The lobster was just heavenly. The filet was good. And to make it even better, it was very reasonably priced. So reasonably, I'd order it again even if we weren't celebrating the best news ever!

The winner for Jim was the dessert. We never order dessert, so it was unusual to see him order such a rich, gooey dessert. He loved it so much, he ordered a second slice packed to go and enjoyed it again a few days later. I don't have their recipe, but I found this Southern Living version. I'm sure it will be great!

Chocolate-Bourbon Pecan Pie

Prep: 10 min.
Cook: 5 min.
Bake: 55 min.

1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup bourbon or water
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 teaspoons cornmeal
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Fit piecrust into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp.

Sprinkle pecans and chocolate evenly onto bottom of piecrust; set aside.

Combine corn syrup and next 3 ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients. Gradually whisk about one-fourth hot mixture into egg mixture; add to remaining hot mixture, whisking constantly. Pour filling into prepared piecrust.

Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until set; cool on wire rack.

Go visit Overwhelmed with Joy for more Super Bowl-inspired recipes!

Past FIF recipes:
Crab Rangoon
Sausage con Queso and Ro-tel Cheese Dip
Blueberry Multigrain Coffeecake
Banana Bread
Bananas Foster
Old-Time Beef Stew
White Chocolate Snack Mix
Gorilla Bread
Ginger Shrimp
Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ

Labels:



14 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I absolutely LOVE chocolate pecan pie! I can't wait to try this version out! Thanks for sharing!

Blogger Jill said...

Oooooooo.... I love this!!

Blogger FamilySnows said...

Pecan pie is my favorite. Can't wait to add chocolate to it!

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Magi, this sounds soooo good (and rich)! I can't wait to try it.

And your little girl is adorable! I can't wait to hear all about your first in-person meeting.

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Valentine’s Day chocolate edition recipe exchange. I’m having so much fun with this one!

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I just knew you were going to have something spectacular and you did! I LOVE and I mean LOVE pecan pie and to have it mixed with chocolate has to be HEAVENLY!

Thanks so much and praying for you that all continues to flow smoothly!

Hugs!

Your pie sounds wonderful, but your news is even better. Congratulations!!!

Blogger Rae said...

Oooo wow that sounds amazing! Thank you soo much for sharing this recipe with us! Happy Valentine's Day! =)

Blogger Barb said...

I just sat here and caught up on the last four or five posts, Magi.

OK, the recipe sounds great. But can I just say, reading these last few posts has made me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Except for the photo of the long row of cribs (sad) and the irritating trip to the doctor, your happiness just flies out of my monitor.

I am so, so excited for you and Jim. And Sera is beautiful. I don't know how you can stand it. Don't you just want to grab her and smoosh her?

I thrilled to death for you. :-)

Blogger Annie said...

Looks really tasty. Also saved your recipe for oven fried chicken... sounds really good!
Thanks,
Annie

Blogger Michelle said...

I can see why your hubby ordered another slice to take home, wow this sounds good!

And congrats on your daughter! She is beautiful and I love the meaning of the name you picked out for her!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pecan pie is my dad's absolute favorite dessert. I will have to make this for him the next time he visits! Thanks!

Blogger Kristen said...

That recipe sounds wonderful.

And many, many congratulations on little Sera! So happy for you!

Blogger Pug Mama said...

Magi and Jim,
your daughter is beautiful. I am so happy for the 3 of you.

Blogger Carole Burant said...

I haven't had a chance until today to do my visits to the participants of Valentine's Day Chocolate Edition...I can feel my clothes tightening already looking at all those fabulous recipes! lol The Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie sounds fabulous and one I will absolutely have to try too!! Hugs xox

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG