.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, December 08, 2006
Favorite Ingredients Friday

Years ago, in New Orleans, there was a Chinese restaurant near my grandfather's house that had the best shrimp dish. For years I've sampled different shrimp dishes trying to find that taste again. I never found the exact dish, but I found one close at a Chinese restaurant near my home. They call it Szechuan Shrimp. Shortly afterwards, I found this recipe. It looked so simple that I decided to try it at home. The original recipe called for deep-frying the shrimp in 2 cups of peanut oil. I found that stir-frying in olive oil was perfectly fine and a lot healthier. I love this recipe. Other than the oil, this is the original recipe I found. I like to jazz it up by adding more veggies. So far we've tried broccoli, straw mushrooms, green pepper, and baby corn. All are excellent additions. When we're adding more ingredients, we like to double the ingredients for the sauce.

Ginger Shrimp

1. 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
2. 1 1/2 t cornstarch
3. 1/2 t salt
4. 1/4 cup freshly chopped green onions (including stems)
5. 2 Ts finely chopped fresh ginger
6. 1/4 cup red tomato ketchup
7. 1/4 cup chicken stock
8. 1 T sugar
9. 2 T chili paste with garlic
10. 1 T dry sherry
11. olive oil

1. Halve the clean deveined shrimp lengthwise.

2. Combine the cornstarch and salt in a Ziploc bag. Toss in the shrimp and shake until evenly coated.

3. Add oil to wok and heat. Stir-fry shrimp for one minute, and then remove to paper towels to drain.

4. Add additional olive oil to wok; add the cooking onion and ginger, and stir fry for one minute over medium high heat.

5. Increase heat to high now and add the ketchup, stock and sugar, bring to a boil, stirring all the time.

6. Add the cooked shrimp, chili paste and sherry, stir fry briskly for about thirty seconds only.

7. Serve with rice.

Go visit Overwhelmed with Joy for more fun recipes!


Past FIF recipes:

Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM-O, did I tell you I LOVE shrimp....
thanks for a new recipe to try out!
Blessings

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, we love stir frying in our wok! I can tell already that this recipe will be a big hit in our household! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks also for taking the time to participate in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange! I do appreciate it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOHHHH This sounds YUMMY!! I am going to print and give it a try this week.

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I agree - YUMMY! I love seafood of all kinds. Thanks bunches!

Blogger Pamela said...

Oh my word Magi, this recipe for Ginger Shrimp just looks so mouthwatering delicious! I can't wait to try it! I have always loved bacon wrapped shrimp too. :)

Blogger Rae said...

Ooo, this sounds SO good! I can't wait to try it out, I'm going to make it for our Sunday dinner this weekend. I love shrimp! Thanks for sharing this recipe! =)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG