.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, July 06, 2007
Favorite Ingredients Friday


I found this recipe this week on a cooking board I follow. I love red beans and rice. I don't make it often enough because I don't have my beloved Camellia beans up here. They make the creamiest red beans. Anyway, this recipe is very similar to what I do, but with measurements, plus it's a crock pot version. It's given me a taste for red beans, so I think I'll try this recipe soon.

Red Beans - Crock Pot Style

1 16-ounce bag (dry) kidney beans
1 ham bone OR bone-in ham hock
1 large red or green bell pepper, chopped
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
3 stalks celery w/ leaves, chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 TBS Frank's hot sauce
2 bay leaves
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1 cup red wine (or beef broth)
water to cover all ingredients
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper

Garnish: 3 TBS each of chopped fresh parsley and green Spring onions

Place all ingredients (except garnish) into crock pot stir well and cook on low, covered for 8-10 hours. Check liquid level, adding water if needed to cover the beans. If there is too much liquid, turn the heat on high and leave the pot uncovered for a few minutes.

Reduce heat for several more hours or until ready to serve. Beans should be very tender. Remove bones and bay leaves; add garnish before serving. Serve over rice. Freezes well, too!

Go visit Overwhelmed with Joy for more fantastic recipes!

Update on last week's recipe, Better Than Almost Anything Cake. I made it again. This time I used hot fudge instead of caramel topping and whipped cream instead of whipped cream cheese frosting. It is even better!

Past FIF recipes:
Better Than Almost Anything Cake
Fruity Sangria
Outrageous Brownies
Enchiladas de Pollo
Lescó
Catalina Chicken
Croissant French Toast
Corned Beef
Sloppy Joe, Mac 'n Cheese Casserole
Shredded Chicken
Baked Bean & Burger Casserole
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
Crab Rangoon
Sausage con Queso and Ro-tel Cheese Dip
Blueberry Multigrain Coffeecake
Banana Bread
Bananas Foster
Old-Time Beef Stew
White Chocolate Snack Mix
Gorilla Bread
Ginger Shrimp
Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hubby loves red beans and rice and I hardly ever fix it. He'll be so glad I've got a new recipe to try.

Blogger Renee said...

I love trying out all variety of red beans and rice recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Blogger Michelle said...

My best friend's favorite dish is red beans and rice - I'll have to make this for her the next time she's visiting!

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

I must confess, I haven't made red beans over rice before but I'm going to try it with your recipe! I especially love that it's a crockpot recipe.

And I'm going to try your cake with your suggested modifications! Yummy!

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

I hope to see you again next Friday!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG