.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, February 23, 2007
Favorite Ingredients Friday!


Wow,what a bad cooking week for me. I tried two new recipes, neither of which was a winner. It was so bad that yesterday, Jim suggested we eat dinner out. I think he was just ready for a decent meal. To make matters worse, FIF totally slipped my mind. I forgot to go through my recipes last night and write up my post. I'm sitting here on my break trying to figure out what to post since I don't have any of my recipes with me. I was going through the ones in my head, when I thought of this. It's not really a recipe, but it sure comes in handy.

We'll buy those big bags of boneless/skinless chicken breasts at Sam's. We used to buy them all the time, but I've found that the quality has deteriorated over the years. They're not as "clean" as they used to be. I like my meat well trimmed. I found myself with a couple of bags and came up with this method to use them up. Now, I'll buy them whenever I see them for a good price just for this purpose.

How many recipes do you have that call for cooked chicken? I have a ton. If you have to cook the chicken first, it adds a good 30 minutes to your meal prep. Not exactly a time saver.

UPDATE: In Jim's defense, I have to say he NEVER criticizes my cooking. He's always extremely appreciative. I'm the one who declared the recipes thumbs down. The second one was okay at first, but the leftovers were yucky. I also don't vest my self-esteem in my cooking. One of the risks you take when you try different recipes is that they aren't all good. I am confident enough in my cooking ability that I don't take it personally -- unless you're a freeloading houseguest who overstays your welcome by 12 months and never contributes a meal to the household. If that's you, keep your criticisms to yourself 'cause I'll put green olives in any dish I please. ;O)

Shredded Chicken

1. 1 bag frozen chicken (I use boneless/skinless)
2. 1 onion, quartered
3. 2 bay leaves
4. 9 black peppercorns

Place above ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Remove chicken allowing to cool slightly, and shred. Place 2-cup portions in freezer bags and freeze until needed.

Go visit Overwhelmed with Joy for more fantastic recipes!

Past FIF recipes:
Baked Bean & Burger Casserole
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
Crab Rangoon
Sausage con Queso and Ro-tel Cheese Dip
Blueberry Multigrain Coffeecake
Banana Bread
Bananas Foster
Old-Time Beef Stew
White Chocolate Snack Mix
Gorilla Bread
Ginger Shrimp
Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ

Labels:



10 Comments:

Blogger Jim McClain said...

It wasn't even like that. I just had a bad day at work, and needed a steak from Eddie's Steak Shed in Granger. I didn't care for one dish we had this week, but I would like to point out that neither did she!

The recipe we had on Wednesday night was very tasty!

Blogger Jim McClain said...

And her hair looks great today. I got a picture that I will give her later to post!

Blogger Jessica said...

What a nice husband! This recipe sounds yummy! I can't wait to try it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I hate doing the chicken at the same time as the recipe because it takes so long. I am going to try this!

Blogger Rae said...

Thanks so much for that idea! I definitely will be putting it to good use. I can't believe I never thought of it before. Have a great weekend! =)

Great idea. Thank for the tip and the recipe. Love your hubbys rebuttles :)

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

I didn't know that Jim had his own blog! How neat is that. Good for you, Jim! :)

This shredded chicken post looks like a recipe to me, and a darned good idea too!

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

Blogger FamilySnows said...

What a great timesaver, I love to have things ready to go in the freezer. I am known to fry 10 lb. of ground beef at one time for the very same purpose!! Thanks for posting this, I have never done chicken and will love to give this a try!

Blogger Michelle said...

I buy those bags of frozen chicken too and you're right - I have also noticed they aren't as "clean" either! Great idea about cooking up a whole bag and freezing the portions though!

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I love chicken, any kind of chicken and hey, if the hubby wants to take you out -- go for it! Hugs to you!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG