.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, November 17, 2006
Favorite Ingredients Friday!


This is a new recipe that I got about two weeks ago. I made it for dinner the other night. I used low-sodium taco seasoning, tomato paste, beans, corn, and chicken broth. I even used neufchatel (low-fat cream cheese) instead of regular. For us, I skipped the chips and extra cheese because I was trying to make a healthier version. My version was outstanding. I can't even imagine how good the original recipe must be.

Tex Mex Chicken Taco Soup

1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
1 tablespoon minced garlic
olive oil
1 pound chicken breasts, boiled and shredded (I grilled them on the GF)
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 (8-ounce) jar salsa
1 (14-ounce) can kernel corn
1 (14-ounce) can hominy
1 (16-ounce) can ranch style beans
2 (4-ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese

Saute onions, green bell peppers, and garlic in a small amount of olive oil. Add chicken, taco seasoning mix, salsa, vegetables, beans, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Adjust liquid to your liking. Bring to a slow simmer and simmer for 20 minutes. Place cream cheese in a separate bowl. Using a measuring cup, take some of the hot liquid from the soup and pour over cream cheese to melt and then add back to the soup. Simmer on low for another 10 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips and grated Monterey jack cheese.

For more favorite recipes, visit Overwhelmed with Joy!


8 Comments:

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

You're quite disciplined in your efforts to make a healthier version of this recipe but I'll probably make it the original way! :)

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds really yummy. I might have to take it and see if I can tailor it to meet my sons food allergy requirments. Thanks for sharing:)

Blogger Barb said...

This sounds absolutely delicious. I know my family would love this.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful!!! I love spicy food!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This does sound really exciting to the tastebuds. I'm going to have to plan for this soon!

Jenn

Blogger Rae said...

This sounds so good, you always have such delicious recipes posted! Thanks for sharing =)

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I'll bet this is fabulous. It sounds really yummy! Thank you!

Blogger Michelle said...

Oh my goodness, this sounds absolutely delicious! thanks for a great soup recipe!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG