.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, December 15, 2006
Favorite Ingredients Friday


I just love Paula Deen. She just seems like a fun person to hang out with, and I'd let her cook for me anytime. I don't think I've tried a Paula Deen recipe that Jim and I didn't love. With that said, I try them sparingly because a lot of what makes them good is so bad for us. She sure does love her some butter! This recipe I've made twice. The first time I baked it for the 30 minutes the recipe posted at FoodTV said. When I pulled it out of the oven it was beautiful. When I removed it from my bundt pan, the bottom, now the top, was undercooked. The next time I saw the show, I noticed that she says to bake it for 50 minutes. When I made it again, I baked it for 50 minutes and it was sinfully delicious.

I'm putting the story about the baking times in the post because the reviews for this recipe are all over the place about the time. Everyone loves it, but some say 50 minutes is too long and others say 30 minutes is too short. Maybe we should all vote for 40? Anyway, 50 worked for me, you decide what works for you. But definitely decide to make this as it's just heaven in your mouth.

Gorilla Bread by Paula Deen

1. 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2. 3 teaspoons cinnamon
3. 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
4. 1 cup packed brown sugar
5. 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
6. 2 (12-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits (10 count)
7. 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon. In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set aside.

Cut the cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. Press the biscuits out with your fingers and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit, wrapping and sealing the dough around the cream cheese.

Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the nuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. Place half of the prepared biscuits in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, pour half of the melted butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of nuts. Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts.

Bake for 30-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Place a plate on top and invert.

Go visit Overwhelmed with Joy for more fun recipes!


Past FIF recipes:

Ginger Shrimp
Roast Chicken
Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Shrimp Mold
Pasta Puttanesca
Pork Milanese
Pumpkin Dip
Oven-fried Chicken
Best Bundt Cake Ever
Hot Dog Casserole
Chicken & Rice
Peanut Butter Fudge
Omelets in a Bag
Shrimp Boil
Apple Cheese
Pulled Pork BBQ


12 Comments:

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I've made this before! Only we call it monkey bread in our neck of the woods! :)

I, too, love Paula Deen. Did you see that Food TV episode where she had a fan come on her show and make deep-fried butter balls? They actually ate fried butter on her show. I must admit, as much as I like me some butter, my stomach turned a bit as I watched that one. :)

Thanks for taking the time to participate in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange! I do appreciate it

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this recipe! We call it monkey bread and it used to be a tradition for us on Christmas morning! Due to my youngest sons food allergies, I can't make it safely anymore. This is so yummy:)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this recipe! We call it monkey bread and it used to be a tradition for us on Christmas morning! Due to my youngest sons food allergies, I can't make it safely anymore. This is so yummy:)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this recipe! We call it monkey bread and it used to be a tradition for us on Christmas morning! Due to my youngest sons food allergies, I can't make it safely anymore. This is so yummy:)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Paula Deen, too. This sounds wonderful. What I'm really determined to make this Christmas is her amazing white coconut cake!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Paula Deen, too, Magi. This sounds really good. I'm been promising myself I'd make her amazing white coconut cake for two months! So I just need to get crackin' on some Paula Deen!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom makes something very similar to this but without walnuts & cream cheese. We call them monkey balls :)

Blogger Unknown said...

I think Paula's version of monkey bread is called gorilla bread because of the cream cheese addition. This is totally my theory, so I could be way off base.

Blogger Pamela said...

Magi, I love the sound of the Gorilla bread and it makes sense that she calls it that, with the cream cheese. lol I love cinnamon anything and will definitely give it a try! :)

Blogger Michelle said...

I think I've had something like this before but it was called "monkey bread" .. and it is yummy! I haven't made it myself, but I'm saving this recipe to try - you always post such yummy recipes!

Blogger Rae said...

I love Paula Deen too & I LOVE this recipe, thank you for sharing it! =)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Gorilla Bread, but I'm a carb lover to the core. I'll have to make it--a good breakfast especially.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG