.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
That's My Spicy Girl
I was reading this post on BooMama's site today. The comments were interesting to read. I have no problem with this idea. In fact, I've used it with nieces and nephews. They didn't have to eat everything on their plate, but they had to taste it before rejecting it. I don't want to end up making multiple dinners in the future. What I wonder is when do you start?

My initial reaction is to say when they can verbalize what they want/don't want, then it's time to start. I wonder if that's too late though? I'll admit to having made multiple meals for Sera. Sometimes I'll plan it in that I'll make something new, but have a tried and true for back up. Sometimes she gets fussy and won't eat something she usually loves. Generally, she's a really good eater, but sometimes she isn't. If it's just an isolated meal, I let it go. I know that's typical toddler behavior. When she does the toddler sweep of her tray, I usually take everything away. She's pretty good about saying "all done" when she's finished. She doesn't always mean it though. Sometimes the plate overwhelms her. If I remove the plate and put a few bites at a time on her tray, she'll eat them. A few times, very few so far, she'll say she's done and do the toddler sweep, I'll clean her up and take her out of the chair. Then within 15 minutes, she starts making the eat sign or asking for cheese.

When do I get tough? It seems too early to me. I don't want her to have food issues. If she's hungry, I want to feed her. I don't want her to think that she can walk away from dinner and get a treat instead. This is so complicated.

In a food segue, here's my spicy girl enjoying an afternoon snack with Daddy. It's oven-baked chips and spicy salsa. It's very spicy. She loved it!







All done, Daddy. I'll put the lid on.

Today's mail had a lovely surprise from i-Con. Now how did she know it's time for me to schedule an appointment?

And, finally, this portable hard drive is just the ticket to back up all your precious photos. I know I want one. Visit 5 Minutes For Mom to enter the contest.

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spicy Girls are the best! I have one myself :-)

Blogger Kate said...

I found that the best time to get firm around eating and trying new things was at the moment when they stop being willing to just eat and try new things. We didn't do so with Emily, and she was the pickiest eater ever from about 18 months to about 3 1/2. She's much better now, but it was a LOT of work. With Jacob, we were more strict from the start, with much happier/easier results.

And, you've been tagged, on my blog. Just so's you know. :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG