.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, November 07, 2008
Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style
Welcome to the third annual Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style. I admit I was stumped when I first thought about what to post this year. In 2006, I posted what has become our standard holiday meal. In 2007, I posted recipes from what I consider the best holiday meal I've ever prepared. What to do this year?

I'm going to share with you my favorite pecan pie recipe. It doesn't hurt that it's really an easy pie to make, too. I also have a wonderful shrimp appetizer that my sister, Kati, brought to a family gathering, and, finally, I'm repeating a recipe. Mainly because I forgot I had already included it. It is really, really good, too.

Tequila Lime Shrimp

2 pounds shrimp
2 c julienned jicama
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/4 c tequila
1 T lime juice
1/3 c sugar
1/2 c chopped cilantro
3 or 4 jalapeno chiles, seeded, finely chopped
1 or 2 green onions, thinly sliced

Cover the shrimp with water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil until the shrimp turn pink; drain. Peel and devein the shrimp. Place the shrimp and jicama in a sealable plastic bag.Whisk the oil and tequila in a bowl. Whisk in the sugar. Stir in the cilantro, jalapenos, and green onions. Pour over the shrimp mixture and seal tightly. Marinate in the refrigerator 2 hours, turning occasionally.

Corn Maque Choux

6 ears of corn with the kernels cut off
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 c of diced tomatoes, or 1 can, drained
1 t salt (less if using canned corn and tomatoes)
¼ t cayenne pepper
½ c cream

If you are cutting off the kernels, cut down the cob twice. This releases extra liquid. Heat skillet with olive oil, and add onions, peppers, and corn. Season with salt and cayenne. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, and add tomatoes. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until corn is tender. Stir occasionally. Add cream and heat for a few additional minutes to warm through. Serve.

Pecan Pie

9-inch unbaked piecrust
1 c light corn syrup
1 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 c butter, melted
1/3 t salt
1 t vanilla
1 heaping c pecan halves

Heat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt and vanilla; mix well. Pour filling into unbaked piecrust; sprinkle with pecan halves. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or until center Is set. (Toothpick inserted in center will come out clean when pie is done.) Cool. If crust or pie appears to be getting too brown, cover with foil for remaining baking time. (If electric oven, may need to bake for 15-20 more minutes.)

Labels: , , ,



5 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

Great recipes! Love pecan pie!!!
And shrimp with lime-wow!
Dianne
www.diadsie.wordpress.com

Blogger Lori4squaremom said...

Your shrimp recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing it! I may just have to give that a try for our New Year's Day "snack day".

Blessings,
Lori4squaremom
http://lori.scottdomain.com

Blogger Betsy said...

Yummy! I love this time of the year!!

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Magi,

The tequila lime shrimp recipe sounds fantastic! I think I'll try it at our next gathering. :)

The corn maque choux and the pecan pie recipes sound great too!

Thanks for participating in my 3rd annual Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style recipe exchange! I do appreciate it.

I hope to see you back next Friday for my “Favorite Ingredients Friday” recipe exchange!

Take care!

Blogger Lynn said...

That lime shrimp sounds heavenly! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG