.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
May You Live in Interesting Times
I know that is supposed to be a curse. And I get it. I've come to the point in my life that when something unusual happens, it's usually not good. I like my routine; I like the status quo on many things, but I also like to see progress.

I know many people are unhappy with the results of this election. I truly hope that everyone can come together and work to make our country an even better place. It's been fascinating watching this election cycle in an urban high school. This is only my second presidential election as a teacher. The last one didn't compare at all to this one in regards to capturing the attention of teenagers.

My students have been engaged. They watched the debates. They went to rallies. They asked questions. They volunteered as poll workers.

Yesterday, we held a mock election here. All 2nd period classes were assigned a state, and all staff were assigned to one state. As the government classes tabulated results throughout the day, the results appeared on a map that was viewed over the classroom TVs. Each state was colored red or blue as their electoral votes were calculated. By the last period, all states were colored in. I'm sure it will come as no surprise that Obama won the mock election. I was surprised that the only state here to go red was Georgia. This school is in a very red county and in a state that had not voted for a Democratic candidate in 44 years.

As you can imagine, we have some very happy students here today. We also have some very unhappy students. Just like the rest of the country.

For those of you celebrating, congratulations! For those of you mourning, take this bright note with you. The younger generation is engaged, active, and involved, and that can only be a good thing.

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

I'm celebrating today! :)

So, I'm stopping by to let you know that I’m hosting the “Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style” recipe exchange again this year, coming up this Friday. I hope you can join me and if you’re willing to help me spread the news, I’m offering a giveaway as well!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG