.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
One Year
Wow, it's been one year. One year today since we met and adopted Sera. I still remember how that was the longest day. We did some last minute paperwork that morning and then we had to wait. Our appointment wasn't until 3:30 in the afternoon. I'd never seen a clock move so slowly. Then time speeded up and the rest of the afternoon and evening just flew past. I remember standing by Sera's crib that first night watching her sleep and feeling as if it were a very surreal moment. I looked at Jim and marvelled over the fact that we were now parents. That we were looking at the sleeping face of our child. It was the most amazing experience.

And the first of many, many more. Each day with Sera has been a dream. Now don't get me wrong, some days are very tough. Holding a screaming child when you don't know what's wrong. Some of those days last spring and summer when I counted the minutes to nap time, so that I could nap, too. Realizing that I hadn't left the house except to go to work for weeks because Sera was slightly under the weather every weekend and thinking I'd go insane if I didn't go somewhere, anywhere. But I wouldn't trade one single second of time with her.

Raising a child is hard. Some days I think how much easier it would be if I were 20 years younger. Other times I realize how those 20 years have given me a level of patience I never would have had back then. It also helps me to stop and enjoy the moments. I know that these days are going quickly, and I want to treasure each and every one.

We've known our girl for one year now. She has blossomed and grown so much. She's independent and funny and smart. I love seeing her personality bloom. Each rough patch is followed by some amazing changes. Last week, our little girl was more clingy and whiny than usual, but that's par for the course when you're having a fever all week. This week, she's so happy to back at school and feeling good again that the laughter just bubbles out every day. I need to video her laugh. It's the most wonderful sound you can imagine.

I know how tough this wait can be. It was awful for us and has grown so much longer. Friends who were logged in just a 2-3 months after us are still waiting. Nothing can ease your pain now, and nothing will ever make you forget it. But I can tell you that when you hold your child in your arms, you realize you'd do anything to have this child...even wait again.

Daddy's first kiss.


First moments back in our room.

Sera's first smile.

Getting ready for bed on our first night.

One year home. Yes, that's chocolate on her face.

Sera still has that great smile!

Labels: ,



13 Comments:

Blogger C's Mom said...

Congrats on one beautiful year together!

I can hardly believe it has been a year already. Though I still wait, it seems that year has flown by.

Blogger Wendi said...

It is hard to believe that it has been a year already! It feels like yesterday I held Megan for the first time.

It is just amazing to see how far our girls have come. Have a great great Gotcha Day Anniversary!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, has it been a year! Hard to believe. As pipo said above, yes - we are also still waiting, but the past year has passed quickly. Sera grows lovelier every day!

Blogger Beth said...

MAN! Time flies! We're just about to hit 10 months with our little one and can't believe it at all. Sera is beautiful and you're absolutely right about that "great smile!"

Congratulations!

Beth

Blogger Jacquie said...

Beautiflly written. Man, our day was long too. A 4:00 appointment!!! I remember how time drug like it was yesterday. And now, it's whizzing by at the speed of light.

Blogger Michelle said...

how incredibly sweet! she is a real doll :)

Blogger Marcia said...

I can't believe that it has been a year already either. But when you look at the pictures you can see how much she has grown and changed. She looks so tiny in those first pictures! What a sweet angel! I can't wait to see her next week!!!

Blogger RamblingMother said...

Congrats on your 1st year!!

Beverly

Blogger Tammie said...

Congratulations on your 1st year as a family!! May the rest of your journey be as wondrous as the first year!!

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

One year! Wow! Did that ever fly by. I guess my granddaughter will be two this summer...Amazing.

Sera is the most beautiful little lady and yes, what a captivating smile she has. It would steal any heart.

I am so happy for you all! God Bless!

Blogger Gerbil said...

She is just adorable. Happy Sera-versary!

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow...a year already...whew! Thank goodness it is not this time last year...not sure I can handle a repeat of all of the ups and downs.

Ms. Sera, however, appears able to handle ANYTHING! What a beautiful smile...same as last year only better! Happy Anniversary Mom, Dad, and Sera!!

Blogger Colleen said...

Oh my god... she has gotten so big in just the little time I haven't been around blog land. Happy one year to your family. You are so blessed with such a beautiful little girl. Yep = there are days where I wonder if it would be easier....blah blah blah....but each day is such a gift.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG