.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Saturday, September 29, 2007
This Is My World
UPDATE - Decided to tag Jim, too.

Kate tagged me for a different kind of meme. I'm supposed to write my rules. This was harder than you might think. I don't want to take the easy way out, but I really don't have too many rules. I'll start with the ones I have in my classroom and see what happens from there.

1. Respect - Doesn't that sound easy enough? That's my classroom rule, and a good one for life, too. In class, I tell them to respect themselves - don't act like a fool, respect each other - which includes not disrupting their learning environment, respect the equipment - I do teach computers after all, and to respect me. In turn, I will treat them with respect. This is a harder rule for them to follow than you might think.

2. Responsibility - Take responsibility for what you choose to do and for what you choose not to do.

3. The Golden Rule - I am not a religious person, but I do believe in this. Treat others as you wish to be treated.

That's it for my classroom. Now on to the rest of my life.

4. No Regrets - I've lived an interesting life. I've had some amazing experiences. And I've had some terrifying experiences. I can look back at my life and marvel at the fact that I did some really stupid things and lived to tell (or not) about them. I can point out so many places where I took the wrong path, but I can't regret any of it. All those experiences have brought me here and made me who I am today. It may not have been the easy path, but it's been the one for me.

5. Sometimes You Just Have To Leap - There have been a few times in my life where I just took a leap of faith. I made a decision that people around me questioned. Sometimes you just have to listen to your gut, to that little voice, and go for it.

6. Time Passes Anyway - So many times people say they can't go back to school or start a new career or whatever because it's going to take too long. Well, that time passes anyway. You can moan and complain and end up with nothing. Or you can work towards your goal and achieve it.

7. Like Attracts Like - I've seen this for myself. When I'm feeling negative and blue, everything around me is awful. I only see the ugly, and I attract ugly. Ugly emotions, ugly events, you get the idea. When I try to find the good, the positive, things get better. I feel better. I feel happier.

8. Never Give Up, Never Surrender - Don't give up on your dreams, no matter how unrealistic they may seem. I was 36 when I met Jim, 37 when we started dating, 38 when we got married, and 45 when we met Sera. The one thing I wanted most when I was young was to have a family. I wanted a loving husband and an adorable child. It took a whole lot longer than I ever thought it would, but I never gave up my dream.

9. Life Is Better After High School - Since I work in a high school, I say this a lot. I say this to the kids who are miserable. I let them know that life gets much better, and that in the long run, what happened in high school won't matter. They'll look at me with these sad eyes and question the truth of that statement. I swear to them it's true. High school is filled with angst and drama and out of control feelings and situations. It gets better for most. Ironically, it's often the peek for those who are successful in high school. Without the lessons from the struggle, they falter at the first road blocks life gives them.

10. Find The Funny - If your only choice is to laugh or cry, then laugh. It will get better; it always gets better. The reverse side of this rule is Nothing Beats A Good Cry. Because sometimes you just need to cry it out. You can't always hold it in.

Okay, I guess I had more rules than I thought. Now it's my turn to tag. Let's see.....how about OW, Barb, and Susan.

Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger Wendi said...

Love rule #8!!

Blogger Wendi said...

Also, rule #9 is so true!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your rules, but boy, did rule number 7 ever hit home with me!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Life is better after high school! I am always sur to pass this on to any young people I know. Afew have come back and said, "You were right!"

This could be a seminar that tours the country :)!

M.T.

Blogger Kate said...

Thanks, Magi. :)

I love #4. Sometimes you just have to leap. Boy, don't we.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG