.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Works For Me Wednesday!
If I had planned ahead or maybe been psychic enough to realize this would be the theme this week, I would have saved the package and scanned it in. Last weekend, I tried a new (to me) product and made a healthier version of lasagna. Super Target has its own line of products as does any grocery store these days. I've actually been pretty impressed with most of their products. About two weeks ago, I picked up a pack of Archer Farms Oven Ready Whole Wheat Lasagna. This was the version I made:

1 pkg Archer Farms Oven Ready Whole Wheat Lasagna
2 jars pasta sauce (tomato basil with mushrooms)
12 oz. spicy Italian turkey sausage
12 oz. sweet Italian turkey sausage
1 15 oz. low-fat ricotta cheese
1/2 c parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 T dried basil
1/2 bag shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, and basil.

Brown the Italian turkey sausage.

In two 9"x9" pans (I used extra deep aluminum foil pans), place 2 1/2 noodles on the bottom of the pan. Pour a little sauce over the noodles, add a layer of sausage and a layer of the cheese mix. Add a little more sauce and another layer of noodles, repeat, and end with a layer of sauce. Each pan will use one jar of sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Remove foil and add 1/4 bag of mozzarella cheese to each pan. Return to oven and cook approximately 20 more minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.

We get two meals from one pan. I wrap and freeze the other for another night.

Is this the healthiest meal? No, but it's a much healther version of lasagna than the normal. Making your own pasta sauce would be healthier, but unless you have some stashed in your freezer, it would detract from the quickness factor. You could also add more veggies to health it up. I have tried no-boil noodles before and not been impressed. These were awesome.

For more healthier recipe tips, visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good! We love the Barilla Plus line of pasta, but alas so far I have not seen lasagna noodles.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great! I love lasagna (actually I love any type of pasta!), but my recipe seems chockfull of fat. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh...that sounds good. My family loves lasagna. I'll have to give that one a try!

Blogger Pamela said...

Whole wheat pasta noodles and turkey meat would make this so much more healthy. It sounds really tasty too. Enjoy the rest of your day Magi! :)

Blogger Barb said...

Hi Magi,

Can I just apologize for not getting over here for over a week? My life has been just a little overwhelming with activity and I'm hopelessly behind.

I've read through all the posts you've done since my last visit.

So, this recipe sounds really good.

But the post you did on you and Jim and your decision to adopt moved me to tears.

I'm praying about it. Hard. I can't think of anyone I want to see this happen for more than you two.

xoxoxo

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Wow, this recipes sounds great! I've never tried whole wheat lasagna. I should!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Strawberry Spinach recipe. :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG