.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Works For Me Wednesday!


I have to admit, this totally snuck up on me. It’s Works for Me Wednesday? Who has time for tips when we still don’t know the referral cut-off for this month!!! Oh, what? Everyone isn’t obsessed like me? Your lives don’t revolve around this knowledge? My apologies.

Okay, my tip for this week involves deli meats. My husband loves his sandwiches, but have you priced deli meats lately? Ouch! I can’t stand the idea of paying $6.00-$8.00 a pound for sliced deli meat. Especially when I have a husband who could give Dagwood a run for his money in the sandwich making department.

Occasionally I’ll roast a turkey. We have a nice turkey dinner. I then slice the leftover white meat for sandwiches and shred the leftover dark meat for casseroles, plus I make broth from the carcass. Definitely more value for my dollar.

But would you like to know what’s even easier? And cheaper? Eye of Round Roast! I know, you might think they’re too tough for sandwiches, but they’re not. They are an extremely lean cut of meat; they don’t have all that tenderizing marbles of fat running through it like most roasts, but they also don’t cost as much. I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than $4.00 per pound for one. Sam’s usually has some really pretty ones available. I found a great one last weekend at Super Target. Here’s my super-duper easy recipe that is a hands-down winner for all who’ve tried it.

Roast Beef for sandwiches

1 eye of round roast
Lemon pepper
Garlic salt
Paprika

Preheat oven to 500. Make sure the roast is trimmed of excess fat. Sprinkle a heavy coating of lemon pepper all over roast, rubbing it in to the meat. Now repeat with a light coating of garlic salt and paprika.

Place roast in 9”x9” baking pan, and place in oven. Roast for 6-7 minutes per pound for a nice medium to medium-rare. Turn the oven off, but do NOT open the door for one hour. Let the roast cool to room temperature and then refrigerate. It’s much easier to slice when it has been chilled. Slice into thin slices and store in an air-tight container (or Ziploc bag).

This roast started as a regular roast for dinner, but my husband and I both realized that we actually liked it better, and it was more tender, when we sliced the leftovers for sandwiches. I make it now just for sandwiches. One major benefit to this is I control what is used to season the meat.

If you roast for 5 minutes per pound, it's more on the rare end of medium-rare. I've never gone over 7 minutes per pound.

For more fun tips, visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cringe, too, when paying that much for deli meat. But I am not very knowledeable about which cuts of meat to buy for which recipes. I'm going to try this! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loathe lunch meat. Something about the slime factor. I am always looking for different ideas. Thank you so much for sharing!

Blogger Rae said...

Great idea! My boy could spend $8/lb on deli meat every WEEK! I can't stand thinking of that..I'll have to pass this tip to him =) Thank you for sharing & Happy New Year!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a great idea. I've been looking for ways to make lunch more exciting. Thanks for sharing this tip.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG