.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Monday, August 28, 2006
A Year Later
A year ago, the world turned upside down. Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast and caused devastation. I am from the Gulf Coast. As much as I've moved in my life, if I had to pick one place as home, it would be New Orleans. I've lived there more than any other place. My mother's family was there. I have memories there as a child, as a teenager, and as an adult. I love New Orleans.

My heart hurt to see the wreckage last year. Though I live a 20 hour drive away from there now, I wanted to jump in my car and go home. Instead, I lived on nola.com. I refreshed that site a hundred times a day.

I don't have many family members left who live there. Most had already moved on for various reasons. The only one left now is my cousin, and she has been there through the worst of it. I admire her courage and stamina in sticking it out. She lost her home. Her career is tourism related, and the stress is unbelievable. What she has gone through over this last year is daunting, but she is still there helping to rebuild New Orleans and make her better than ever.

New Orleans went through hell. There's no other word for it. Many neighborhoods are still going through recovery, but the city's coming back. The areas most familiar to tourists and convention-goers are back, and they need you. Tourism is New Orleans' blood. If you want to help that city, go there! Bring your tourism dollars. Visit the French Quarter and see the other exciting sights of New Orleans. Experience the unbelievable meals the local chefs provide. Feel the excitement millions have felt before you. New Orleans is a city that just oozes with history and charm. That is still there. It was not lost.

There is no other place in our country quite like New Orleans. Go see for yourself!

For more information on this great city, visit the New Orleans Convention and Visitor's Bureau.



Standing in the kitchen of his namesake restaurant, Chef Emeril Lagasse invites viewers to visit New Orleans.


1 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

Magi, My hubby and I were just saying yesturday, how glad we were that we took a trip up to New Orleans for a wonderful visit in the French Quarters...it was amazing! It is totally devastating what they lost and what they went through during hurricane Katrina. We here in Florida take notice anytime there is a hurricane now. They say we are in a new pattern and will see many more hurricane in this new weather cycle that is projected to last for the next 15 years.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG