.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
How To Age In One Day

Today in class, my students were trying to talk me into letting them listen to music. Our school has a policy that does not allow them to play their various iPods, mp3, cd players, etc... during the day. They can listen to their music during lunch in the student center only. I volunteered, as I usually do, to bring in my boom box, but warned them that they'd have to listen to my music. That usually ends the discussion, but not always. Sometimes they ask me what kind of music I like. I'll list my favorite Broadway and Disney musicals as well as the music of my youth, 70's rock and 80's pop. I'll have students who like this music, but I always have some who prefer their music to have the more modern hip-hop tempo. Since I won't play my music unless everyone agrees, I rarely play my music.

I started listing some of my favorite groups today: Queen, REO Speedwagon, Heart, and then I got to Journey. Journey's great, right? One of my students laughed and said, "my grandmaw likes Journey." Ouch! What makes it even worse is that the student who said this is one of my nicest. She wasn't even trying to make a crack. When they dish it out I can take it, but it zings when it comes like this.

I knew I was over the hill, but I still thought I was near the top. Now....where did I leave that walker?

P.S. In case you are concerned, I'm not really upset by this. In fact, I've been chuckling about it all afternoon. You have to remember that to teenagers all teachers are ancient. Another time I'll share what I respond when they say that I'll be the cool teacher, if only....


1 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

Awe, too funny! You look fantastic for your age (coming from OW's) My brother teaches high school here in Tampa, and I can't wait to see how the Math teacher is doing, (this being his second year) at 42.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG