.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Sunday, August 20, 2006
Things You May Not Have Known About Me

This comes from my friend, Lori. I met Lori when we were both in the 10th grade in Panama City, FL. We had some classes together, and we rode the same bus. We were the kids who lived in Panama City Beach as opposed to the kids who lived in town. Even though we’ve never lived in the same town since high school graduation, she has remained one of dearest friends. Time passes between contacts, and even more between visits, but each time we talk, it’s like no time has passed at all. With Lori, I can talk about our lives today or, in a flash, be back to our silly and rebellious 16-year-old selves. We’ve both taken very different paths, but have both ended up as teachers in the Midwest. How odd is that?

Things you may not have known about me....

A) Four jobs you have had in your life:

1) Jack’s, a fast food chain in the South – this was my first non-babysitting, getting a paycheck job. It was right on the strip in Panama City Beach next to Miracle Strip Amusement Park. My friends and I spent lots of summer nights in that park. I was hired the summer I turned 15, though I was still 14 when hired. I was too shy and wouldn’t ask the customers what they wanted at the register, so I became the fry cook instead. Went back the next summer and the new manager wouldn’t hire me because I wasn’t 16 yet. How ironic.

2) Children’s recreation program at a beach resort – Since Jack’s wouldn’t hire me, I got another job at a beach resort. I'm sure that Dad being the General Manager at this resort had no impact on me getting the job. I was a counselor at the children’s program. Parents would drop off their kids with us while they headed off to shop, golf, tan, etc… We did crafts, made sand castles, read stories, and went swimming. It was a great job, and the only time in my life I was able to maintain a tan.

3) Banquet server – I worked banquets for years through my teens and early 20’s. It was hard work, but great money.

4) Telemarketer – I did this job for about four days in college. It was commission only. I don’t even remember what we were selling. There were about six of us in a room; each with our own phone. We were given long lists of names and phone numbers. When we made a sale, we were to drive to the buyer’s house and get the money that night. On the 4th night, I made my first sale. As I was driving around trying to find the person’s house, I decided it was insane and not safe. It was certainly not worth the money. I just drove home. I’m sure they figured out I quit. It’s the only job I ever walked out on.

B) Movies you've watched more than once:

1) Gone With the Wind
2) You’ve Got Mail
3) It’s a Wonderful Life (yes, I’m a sap)
4) Fever Pitch

C) Four places you have lived:

1) Mexico City, Mexico
2) New Orleans, LA
3) Pine Mountain, GA
4) Panama City Beach, FL

D) Four television shows you like to watch:

1) Gilmore Girls
2) Lost
3) Deadwood
4) Anything on Food TV

E) Four places you have been on vacation:

1) The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island
2) Disney World
3) London, England
4) Paris, France

F) Four Web Sites you visit daily:

1) China Adopt Talk – to learn the latest adoption rumors
2) Bloglines – it keeps track of about 20 blogs I follow
3) CNN/MSNBC – for the latest news
4) Yahoo Groups – more adoption friends

G) Four of my favorite foods:

1) Chocolate
2) Shrimp – all styles, though my favorite is well-seasoned and still warm boiled shrimp
3) Mashed Potatoes – in all their ooey, gooey, creamy comfort foodiness
4) House Special Fried Rice with shrimp, chicken, and pork. It’s not just a side dish anymore.

H) Four places I would rather be right now:

1) China
2) Northern California – love the red woods, the wine country, and San Francisco
3) Closer to my sisters. We all live too far away from each other.
4) Home – I’m really a homebody. I like being in my home with my husband, our dog, and no where I NEED to be.

I) Five friends I think (hope) will respond:

1) Marcia
2) Jessica
3) Kati
4) My DTC friends
5) and you! If you’re reading this, I hope you respond. Leave me a comment, if you do, so I can read your responses.


4 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

Good blog and fun post. Panama City, FL is right up I-75 from us here in Tampa. I loved the bit about how your Dad hired you...cute!

Oooh la la, London & Paris?!

I'll have to check back and see how things are going with the adoption...we are praying for you :)

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Wow, that telemarketing job did sound dangerous! I did telemarketing in college too, but only over the phone stuff.

I love Gilmore Girls too! :) And chocolate is definitely one of my favorite foods. :)

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Magi- Thanks so much for your comment on my Older Parent (revealing my age) post!

You know, you're right, a lot of times life doesn't work out the way we had planned or hoped. I had to laugh at your comment about the Pampers and the Depends! :)

Best of luck in your adoption journey! I can't wait to hear more.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember the four day call center job.
My favorite food you made is the chicken dish made with green grapes. This was the night you cooked for Craig,Richie,Jim and me.

Still to this day my only favorite cat is Sam.
I laugh at the thought of you being a teachering computers. I remember doing projects in college and driving to your dad's office in PC to have his asst. type our papers. She had what was the very first word processors. I was so taken by that machine.
I also enjoyed our Delta Sigma Pi trips to New Orleans. You were the best guide.
You and your sister had the nicest condo. Remember, when it flooded out and you were forced to move up stairs.
We had a very FUN major. HRA, who knows what its called now?
We need to get the old group back and do a trip back to Tallahassee,FL.
You will have to teach me about the world of blogging.
OH, when we have time we love Gilmore Girls too! Leave the Chocolate to my wife.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG