.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Over The Shoulder Boulder Holder*
Somehow over the years I decided, quite unintentionally, that my personal needs weren't the priority, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Once upon a time I got my hair cut every six weeks and highlighted every 12. At the same visit, I'd get a manicure, but I did my own nails every Sunday night. It was how I prepared for my work week. Twice a year, I'd replace the majority of my wardrobe. I'd go on a big shopping spree every Fall and every Spring. I never even gave any of this a thought.

I think it started when we were caring for our niece. We had just gotten married and bought a new house. I was also transitioning from a career in hospitality to becoming a teacher. Tuition ate up a lot of my budget. I started tightening those purse strings when it came to the frivolous extras.

Even after it was just the two of us again, I had become stuck in my thought process. If we had extra money, I could always think of something that was more important to spend it on. During our adoption wait, extra money went towards the adoption or buying ahead the things we'd need or taking mini vacations while we still could.

Since Sera came home, extra money goes to her. She is always far better dressed and groomed than I am.

I haven't had my hair cut since March, and that's the last time I had to color done, too. Luckily, I'm not really gray yet. Either that or my eyes have failed me enough that I can't see all the gray. It's probably the latter. I bought two sweaters and one pair of pants for the new school year.

What made me think about this? The giddiness I felt when I put on my brand spankin' new pretty rose bra this morning. Last week I went crazy and ordered FIVE new bras. I bought the standard beige and black, but I also got one in rose and one in blue. Yep, I live dangerously.

The old bras are and all their holey-ness are heading to the nearest landfill. They deserve to be retired. After all, they put in about six years of hard work.

I can't blame this on being a mom as I've only been one for nine months. I can't blame my husband because he's the first to tell me to treat myself. Why do I consider my personal needs such a low priority?


*Can you name the movie where this song is performed?

Labels:



7 Comments:

Blogger C's Mom said...

You have mama syndrome and everyone else comes first with that one.

Congrats on the new boobicle braces though...don't you feel uplifted? ;0)

Blogger Tammie said...

Good for you! It took me forever to buy even panties after Erin came home. In fact, it was only after David complained that I went out & bought new stuff for me.

Now if I could only find bras that fit my size without feeling like I was wearing my great grandmother's bra.

Blogger Jacquie said...

Dang Magi, you got me all excited. I thought you were gonna say you bought the one pictured! I was gonna dare you to wear it to the FTIA reunion this summer. Heh.

Oh, and you're not alone. Lily is FAR better dressed than I am.

Blogger Kate said...

Beaches? There's certainly a bra song in that movie, anyway.

I bought new bras this summer, first time since before I had Jacob... he's 3 1/2. And those were nursing bras. The last regular-old-pretty-bras were at least 5 or 6 years old.

It's just so much fun to dress up the kids that it's hard to remember that it's fun to dress me up sometimes, too.

Blogger Unknown said...

It was Beaches. It's one of the songs Bette Midler performed in that movie.

Jacquie, I wouldn't want to traumatize the children at the picnic. ;o)

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I was the exact same way when raising my four and I also think it is more fun to buy for others. But with four kids I understand the thrill of a new bra! Mine even to this day need retiring. In the last two years I have been getting my nails done. They were just horrible - to the point of embarrassing and that is really the only thing I do. When I lose ?? more pounds I may think about a new wardrobe but knowing me I'll dig out the sewing machine! lol!

Hugs!

Blogger Jessica said...

beaches!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG