.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Friday, March 06, 2009
Where Did She Come From?
This was quite an interesting week temperature wise. Monday morning it was 9 degrees; Tuesday was 5 degrees; on Wednesday, we cheered for a warm and wonderful 22; by Thursday we had reached 38, and this morning we're having a heat wave. It is 55. Woo hoo!

Yesterday was such a beautiful afternoon. The sun was out, and the temps were in the 50s. I arrived at Sera's school just as they were lining up to go outside and play. Sera came running to me, grabbed my hand, and pulled me towards the group. She told me that we were going outside. I didn't have the heart to make her leave, so we went outside, and she played for 10 minutes before we left.

We live in a small subdivision surrounded by older neighborhoods. You enter at one end, and the road snakes around to the other. There are about 30 houses total in our subdivision. As soon as I pulled in, we saw a young girl throwing balls into a pitch-back while her brother rode a scooter and dad watched them both. Around the corner, we saw Gretchen out with her daughter, Paige and stopped to say hi. Around the next curve, we saw a grandma walking her young granddaughter and grandson, and then, the pièce de résistance. We live in the cul-de-sac of the subdivision. Within five homes, we have about ten children, eight of whom are girls, between two and eight. All of them were out playing with their bikes, motorized cars, and a new puppy. Sera practically broke her arm waving as we drove past. As soon as I got her out of the car, she ran to the edge of our lawn, obeying the stay off the road rule, and started shouting hello while waving maniacally. We soon had a crowd gathered at the foot of our drive.

Of course, the sun went away and the winds picked up within minutes of our arrival. Moms started gathering their kids belongings and calling them home. Sera babbled away non-stop asking for her purple pedal car and her pink tricycle that haven't seen the light of day in months.

While watching my outgoing friendly child playing with friends at school, saying hello to every parent we pass at daycare, and calling the neighbors over to say hi, I'm reminded of the incredibly shy and withdrawn child she was in China. She would pretty much shutdown everytime we left the hotel, so no one but us ever saw her playful happy side. Even after we got home, she would pull away from other children or adults when she first met them and cling to me. I found myself often explaining that she just needed some time to get used to them and warm up.

I watch that confidant, outgoing, smiling face running out to face the world, and I am just amazed.

Where did she come from?

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She came from you :)

Blogger Kiy said...

I agree with Susan on this one. You and Jim nourished her (and not just food!) for sweet Miss Sera's true self to come shining through. How wonderful it is to see more and more of our children becoming what their potential was. It was there, it just needed .... us.

Thank you for sharing that, how special a post. I love Sera posts though. Her smile (even imagined) brightens my day.

Kiy

Blogger Tammie said...

She may have been born in China, but she came from you & Jim. You guys are the reason that Sera has all this confidence.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG