.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Monday, February 09, 2009
We're Famous, Uh Yay?
I don't usually get into detail about where we live other than Indiana. Since the town where Jim and I teach is all over the news today, I feel like I need to say something.

The excitement was palpable in school today because the President was in town. While he wasn't at our school, we did turn to our local channels and watch the live feed.

Our little town is hurting right now. Unemployment has tripled in the last year from below 5% to over 15%. The county is at 15.3%, but the actual city is at 17%.

I have a very strong interest in seeing what happens to education funding and local stimulus expenditures. People are leaving town to find work. The migrant community has already dwindled. My department is an elective, and I am the one with lowest seniority. If our numbers drop too much, it's a very real possibility that there will be some layoffs. I've been quite worried about having a job next year. I was recently reassured with some news, but I'd be naive to think there wasn't still a chance.

Even though their parents are unemployed and suffering, teenagers still live in their own little bubble. I've tried explaining to them that when they hit the workforce in a year or two that they are going to be competing with their parents, and everyone else, for the few jobs in the area. They aren't worried. They're still planning to

win the lottery
be drafted by the NBA
get a full-ride scholarship (though neither their grades nor their athletic skills support this)
marry rich
record a best-selling rap

And yes, these are actual answers I've been given.

Labels:



3 Comments:

Blogger Two Pearls said...

Winning the lottery...I keep hoping for that to satisfy my retirement planning. Luckily, I'm smart enough to have a fallback plan too (of course, it's dwindled quite a bit in the last six months)!

Blogger Wendi said...

If only winning the lottery were that easy!! I hope that you don't get laid off. Been there, done that and it is no fun!

Blogger Kiy said...

I'd love to win the lottery! However, I am not silly enough to actually buy them so that is a no-go.

Oh and that marrying rich thing. I just read on the news that that is on the decline. Interesting. Might want to tell them that isn't working much for those who are already doing it.

Good luck, I am still impressed you both teach high school. I guess I just don't have the patience. Give me a room full of four year olds! (That was almost -very close in fact- to what I was going to do with my life. Another long story.)

Cheers gal,

Kiy

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG