.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Thursday, December 04, 2008
Melamine
Unless you've been living under a rock the last few months, the word melamine is not new to you. When news of the affected formulas in China came out, I was extremely relieved to see that Sera's was not on the list. At 2 1/2, I also thought she was old enough to have left before the incidents occurred.

And then I learned I was wrong. Children adopted as far back as 2005 have been tested and found to have the kidney stones connected to melamine poisoning. Apparently this has been going on for years. I also started thinking about the fact that I knew what formula we were told Sera was on when we got her, but we did not have way of knowing what she had consumed throughout her time there.

The more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable I became. This intensified when I learned that children in the Chinese adoption community were being tested even though they exhibited NONE of the warning signs, and the tests were showing problems. Now I've learned that some of these children had normal urinalysis and blood panels, but a renal ultrasound showed the stones.

I talked to Sera's doctor last week, and yesterday we took her for the lab work. This was not something we were looking forward to doing. We'd been home only a few weeks when we had Sera's original lab work done. It was a horrible experience. It took multiple attempts by multiple labworkers to get enough for the tests. It also took four adults to hold her still.

The urine sample was easy and painless to get. Though if someone can tell me how to get a sample from a toddler, mid-stream mind you, without getting urine all over your hand, please let me know. I, obviously, do not have that knowledge or skill. The blood was drawn by one person in one try. Sera wasn't happy and did cry, but the neon pink bandage quickly dried up her tears.

Now we wait for the results and decide whether or not an ultrasound should also take place.

I hope the insurance company doesn't fight this one. The last lab bill was over $1000, and it took months and months before we quit receiving the bill. We just kept telling them to submit it to our insurance again. I don't mind paying my share, but we pay a fortune in insurance for them to cover their share, too.

Labels:



4 Comments:

Blogger a Tonggu Momma said...

We recently had the Tongginator tested, including the ultrasound. She's been home since 2005, but her repeated urinary tract infections had me a tad concerned. Her tests came back clean. And insurance covered everything. I hope the same thing happens for y'all.

Blogger C's Mom said...

I hope you get news on all aspects SOON.

Blogger Tammie said...

Here's hoping that you get the results all of us want!

Blogger Gigi and Ella said...

We recently had all the tests done on our daughter at the Intl. Adoption Clinic. It went well and she is fine. I wanted to comment on the urine sample. They told me they were going to "bag" her, so I stopped them and told them that she could go on the potty. We were shown the bathroom and given a potty cover/bowl of sorts that fit right over the toilet and she went in this thing and then they just simply dumped it in a cup. Easy!! Ask for it the next time you go. Oh, my daughter was 22 mo. at the time. We, too, are praying that Insurance covers the bill. We were told that if it was medically necessary (which it totally is) that it would be covered 100%.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG