.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Lucky
The first Friday of summer. Summer, as I'm sure you know, begins as soon as the school year ends. The town where we work was having a festival. 'Tis the season and all, don't ya know. We decided to go check it out.

As festivals go, it was pretty disappointing. Even though it officially opened at noon, there were still many empty tents when we arrived at 1:00pm. The park was pretty neat though. It's called Island Park, and it is...an island that is. It's just a few blocks from the downtown area, but it can only be reached by walking across one of the many bridges. It's filled with trees, and the weather was gorgeous.

We headed to the carnie food because lunch was way overdue. After checking out all the offerings I made what I knew was going to be a big mistake. It just smelled so good that I thought I'd give them a chance. After a few bites, I told Jim that we had a new rule: No More Ordering Cajun Food in Indiana. I decided to try something else. This time I headed for an old favorite that I haven't indulged in for years, a corn dog. It was wonderful in all its greasy goodness.

While we were eating, I noticed that Sera's sweater was missing. This really put a damper on my day. I had tossed it in her stroller when we got out of the car because there was a cool breeze. I thought she might need it if we ended up in a too shady spot. It was her ladybug sweater that matches her ladybug dress from Gymboree. It's also the sweater she wore almost every day in China, including the day we went to the U.S. Consulate. This makes the fourth time I've lost that sweater. Once in China, and then I couldn't find it when we got home. The third time was when we headed to northern Michigan. It was in the car, and I tossed it in the back to get it out of my way. Each time it has turned up where I thought it was even though I had already looked there.

Even though I was seriously bummed, we walked around the rest of the festival. I kept an eye out for that sweater. I've always loved to visit the vendors at summer festivals. I like to see the work created by people, the original paintings, ceramics, jewelry, etc... These vendors all carried the same items, and they all looked like they had been purchsed in bulk from some liquidator. It was just table after table of crap. Very disappointing. The main theme for this festival is music, but the performances weren't scheduled to begin until 5:00pm.

Still it was a beautiful day to walk through the park. As we came around the final curve before heading back across the bridge to our car, we heard a large cracking noise. A branch above us broke off and landed right in front of Jim and then shattered. I was slightly behind Jim and to his right pushing the stroller. We both hurried to get out from under that tree and then turned to look back. Wow, that was close. All the vendors sitting near us commented on how lucky he had been as they'd all seen it. It wasn't a huge branch. Jim wouldn't have gotten a concussion if it had hit him, but I think he might have needed a few stitches. It fell from high enough that it would have definitely hurt.

We crossed the bridge and headed back to the car. From the distance, I could see something white sitting on a small retaining wall around the landscaping. I didn't say a word. A minute later, Jim says he doesn't want to get my hopes up, but he thinks Sera's sweater may be in the parking lot. We hurried to it and there it was. A little dirty, but there. That is one lucky sweater. Maybe I should just put it away now.

Labels:



3 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

That's an amazing sweater. I can't wait to hear if you lose it and find it again for the fifth time.

And I think you guys should just stay away from trees. Good grief, it's like they're out to get you! LOL

Blogger Wendi said...

You are not having good luck with trees! I am glad Jim was not hurt.

I think maybe the sweater should be put away. I wouldn't push my luck as far as it is concerned.

Have a great week!

Blogger Tammie said...

I love going to fairs also. We have a few down here but Erin doesn't care for the noise. However, each December we have a wonderful craft festival that I go to with my friend. The first time I went, I lost Erin's little jacket. I wasn't as lucky as you. It sounds like that sweater has a homing device to Sera!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG