.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Ahhhh, Sleep
Sera ended her birthday by being very cranky. It was extremely difficult to get her to sleep. Just ask daddy as he was the one doing the work. Everytime he had her asleep, the phone would ring, or the dog would bark. We finally unplugged the phone. Still haven't figured out how to unplug the dog.

She finally crashed about 8:00. That doesn't sound late, but keep in mind that she started acting sleepy and doing her sleep signs: one thumb in mouth, the other rubbing her forehead, around 6:00.

Around midnight, she squawked. It's not a pretty way to describe it, but that's what it sounded like. About 10 seconds later, she gave a smaller squawk, and then, nothing. She slept until 5:00 this morning. I woke up at 4:00 and realized she was still asleep. How wonderful. She slept 9 hours and I slept 7 1/2. It's the most either of us have slept since we got home. Still short of her regular 10-11 hour night, but not by much.

Today, we visited my school. We crashed the end of B lunch and then visited my department chair's class for a few minutes, by request. Afterwards, we stopped in guidance and then the main office. Sera was quite the hit. She does so well when she's meeting new people. I am amazed at how well she's adapting. She's friendly and waves and smiles to people, yet she still shows a strong preference for me. That's important because it shows she's attaching to me. Children raised in orphanages will often go to anyone. What might be considered "friendly" behavior can actually be a sign of an attachment issue.

Today's afternoon nap was way too short. She slept for 40 minutes in the car, but wouldn't sleep once we got home. I was willing to sit in the car and read my book while she slept, but she woke up when I turned off the engine. She didn't sleep once we got inside, but she was content to sit with me and relax. Just when she'd start falling asleep, she'd start playing with her feet or my face to wake herself up. She needs sleep so badly, but doesn't want to go to sleep. I don't know if it's because she's overstimulated or fearful of changes when she wakes. She and Jim are out on a Sam's run right now getting some daddy/daughter time and giving mom a little break. I've got dinner on the stove and the washer and dryer going. I'd better get some pictures up, and get back to work. This stay-at-home-mom stuff is hard work!

Did you know it's impossible to get a one-year-old and a dog to pose? Here are some attempts to get a picture of them playing. Sera kept looking away just as I clicked. I missed the best shot. Sera straddled Shadow's tail and sat down leaning against his butt. He looked back, saw it was her, and went back to his chew while calmly flicking the end of his tail. They've become fast buddies. She believes Puffs should be shared and sends at least every other one down to the floor and watches him eat it.




It's birthday cake time!

Just as we're about to light the candle, some friends drop in. Perfect timing!



What am I supposed to do with this thing?

Okay, I stuck my hand in it. Now what?

Shadow is far more interesting than this stuff on my fingers.

Cake, be gone!

I'll stick to my Puffs.

Labels: ,



9 Comments:

Blogger Tammie said...

Thanks for the pics today! Sera is looking gorgeous & happy & content. Just the way our daughters should always look!

As for Sera's sleep & short naps, don't worry. She will eventually start to sleep at night. Her naps may only be an hour or so but she'll do just fine.

Blogger Pug Mama said...

Happy Birthday sweet, beautiful girl!!!!!!!

Blogger C's Mom said...

Great pictures and Happy Birthday to Ms. Anti Cake ;0)

Blogger Marcia said...

I'm so glad you posted more pix...LOVE them! She is so cute!!!!

I have been following your blog for a long time, but had yet to post. As someone with a 10/27 LID I love reading your posts as it is proof it does eventually happen! I loved reading all about your trip and adventures in China. I am so happy for you and your husband. And Happy Birthday to Sera!!!

Blogger Colleen said...

LOVE LOVE the pics!!! How sweet are the ones with the dog??? Thank you for posting I was starting to have Sera withdrawals.

Blogger Dawn said...

Happy 1st Birthday Sera!!!! I love the pics of her and her puppy dog!!!!1

~Dawn

Blogger Wendi said...

I am so glad that Sera was able to share her first birthday with her forever family!!

I am glad that she is starting to sleep more. I know how precious sleep is!!!

Blogger TAYLORSNW said...

happy brithday sera!!! what size is she wearing now? what size was she wearing when you first got her? I am trying to figure out what sizes to take with us..tina

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG