.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Works For Me Wednesday, Christmas Edition!


I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a Christmas tip for this week's WFMW. Between Holiday Traditions, Blogger Style and Sharing Gifts from the Heart, I'm pretty much tipped out. My biggest tip would be to head check them out to see what great ideas are out there for holiday meals and gifts, but that smacks of hijacking. Instead, I'm going to repeat my favorite holiday side dish. I love this dish because it's delicious and because it can be made ahead. I don't know about you, but there is never enough time or oven space when you need it. This dish can be made ahead and just needs to be reheated.

Potato Casserole with Caramelized Onions
3/4 cup butter, divided
1/4 cup olive oil
6 large sweet onions, diced
1 tablespoon sugar
4 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup sour cream
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, and sugar. Cook, stirring often, 25 to 30 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil in a Dutch oven; cook 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Reserve broth for another use, if desired.
Add remaining 1/2 cup butter to potatoes; mash with potato masher until smooth. Whisk together whipping cream and next 3 ingredients; add to potato mixture, stirring until blended.
Spoon 1/2 the potato mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon caramelized onions evenly over potatoes. Spoon remaining potatoes evenly over onions.
Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden.
Note: Casserole may be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.


Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings





I can't resist including links to those posts. They really are full of excellent recipes.

Visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for lots of great tips!

Edited to add: I wrote this post up the night before. While I slept, I remembered another tip, and it's not even food related! How about that?

When I very young, we were allowed to open a gift on Christmas Eve. Oddly enough, every year, it was new pajamas. Being the bright kids we were, we finally caught on after a few years. We opened the pajamas and then got to choose a gift for ourselves to open that night. To show how really bright I am, it wasn't until I was an adult that I connected the dots and realized that this was a great way of making sure we were all dressed in fresh, new cute pjs for Christmas morning pictures. Since we've been married, I've given my husband a new pair of pajamas on Christmas Eve and plan to do the same for our child.


6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Huh. We had the same Christmas tradition, and it took me just as long to figure it out. Maybe we're related?

I have a Christmas tip for you, since you're pre-child and it's not too late to start... after my daughter was born (April 2000) we bought a plain white felt tree skirt (very cheap), and some Christmassy fabric paints, and put her hand prints in paint (go ahead, TRY it with a baby, it's not so easy) with the year. We continued each year, and then in 2004 we were able to put my son's handprints alongside. It's gorgeous and such an easy tradition. I'll post a picture when it gets nearer to the season...

Blogger Lady Why said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing this! I'm adding to my 'must try before Christmas' list!

Blogger Kate said...

Just for you... I went and looked, and I already have an old photo online... taken last year

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/kwej/treeskirt.jpg

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the picture, Kate. I will be borrowing your idea. It's great!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of giving the pajama's on Christmas Eve. I just might have to do this with my girls...

Blogger Rae said...

Thanks for the recipe & the cute tip. I love the idea of new pj's for Christmas. I've already bought myself a cute pair of PJ pants to wear this year. I'm definitely starting this tradition with my future children/husband. Thanks! =)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG