.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Gotta Love The Crock Pot
Last week, I took a sirloin tip roast from the freezer planning to slow roast it. I haven't done that in a long time. More than the roast dinner, we enjoy thinly slicing the leftovers for sandwiches. It's cheaper, tastes better, and is better for you than buying sliced roast beef at the deli. I took it out planning to roast it on Saturday while Jim went to see the Tigers play. Since it takes two to three days for meat to defrost in my frig, I didn't want to leave it for another day when Sera and I ended up going to the game, too.

I only had about 15 minutes to spare before we left on Saturday. I put the roast in the crock pot and decided to go with the old standby - add a pack of onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Of course, that's when I discovered I was out of mushroom soup. Here's what I did instead:

Vegetable Beef Stew/Soup

1 sirloin tip roast
1 can tomato soup
1 pkt onion soup mix
1/2 can water

Mix soups and water together, and pour over the roast. Turn your crock pot on low, and go to Detroit to watch the Tigers play. When you get home at 2:00 am, transfer the roast and sauce to a storage container and refrigerate.

1/2 bag baby carrots
6 red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
olive oil
1 box beef broth
roast, shredded
leftover sauce from the crock pot
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can low-sodium corn
1 can low-sodium peas

Two days later, when you finally get a chance, place large pot or Dutch Oven on med-high heat; add olive oil to cover bottom of pot. Add carrots and saute until just starting to brown slightly. Add potatoes and beef broth. Bring broth to boil and cook until potatoes and carrots are fork tender. Add the roast and the sauce as well as the remaining vegetables and any others you might have in your pantry/freezer. Look at the clock and realize it's just 10 in the morning. Turn the burner to low, and let simmer until your husband comes home for lunch.
Bow and accept the compliments because this is awesome!

Labels:



2 Comments:

Blogger Jim McClain said...

It IS awesome! I even took some to work for breakfast one day.

Blogger Sandra said...

I "heart" my crockpot, too!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG