.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Comfort Foods-Updated
It almost didn't happen today, but I pulled out week 3.  Didn't make it to the grocery store to make two of the recipes I had planned, so I went with what I had on hand.

Menu for this week:

Still plan on having those fish tacos.  Can't let the ingredients rot on me.  I'm thinking Tuesday night dinner this week before I run out of steam.

Shepard's Pie

Chicken and Noodles

Roasted Carrots

Cauliflower Puree

My recipes this week are more empty out the frig and pantry types. The shepard's pie isn't traditional.  It's the kid-friendly version.

First, I peeled and cut the carrots.  Tossed them with olive oil and salt and roasted at 450 for 30 minutes, stirring once.  I was planning to add them to both the ground beef and chicken dishes, but only had enough for one.

I also started steaming the cauliflower I had in the frig in chicken broth until it was soft.  I then pureed it and added salt & butter.

Shepard's Pie
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 large onion, diced
3 T flour
1 box beef broth
1 can mushrooms
1 can peas
1 can corn
1 can cream of mushroom soup
cauliflower puree

Brown ground beef and onions until cooked through.  Sprinkle with flour and cook, while stirring, for a few minutes.  Add beef broth.  When it begins to boil, reduce to simmer and add mushrooms, peas, and corn. 

I served this mixture over the cauliflower puree for Sera.  She enjoyed it.

When I went to pour this into the casserole dishes, it seemed too dry to me, so I added the remaining puree and a can of cream of mushroom soup.  I was trying to avoid the soup, but I needed it this time.

The night we eat it, I will cover the top of the casserole with mashed potatoes and some shredded cheese.

Chicken and Noodles

2 lbs chicken tenders, poached & cut into chunks
1 T olive oil
1 T butter
1/2 lg onion, diced
2 T flour
2 boxes chicken broth, low sodium
6 carrots, roasted
2 cans mushrooms
1 can peas
1 bag Amish-style frozen noodles

Heat Dutch oven over high/med-high heat.  Add olive oil and butter.  When butter has melted, add onions and saute until translucent.  Sprinkle flour and cook, while stirring, for a couple of minutes.  Don't let the roux get too brown, but cook enough to get out the flavor of raw flour.  Whisk in one box of broth.  Add chicken and vegetables.  Add more broth as needed, and bring to boil.  Add noodles and return to boil.  Reduce to simmer and cook until noodles are done.  Add broth as needed.  The noodles will continue to absorb and thicken broth, so you may  need to add more broth when reheating.

I hope to avoid having two such similar style recipes for the same week, but I was limited by the emptiness of my refrigerator veggie drawer and reduced to pantry back ups.  With that in mind, I was impressed with what I got done.  These are two old stand by recipes that Jim and Sera both love, so we're good for another week.  Even better, I actually used all the produce I've purchased over the last two weeks instead of throwing out bags of rotting vegetables.

Update - I decided to take a quick photo when I heated up the chicken & noodles for tonight's dinner.  Forgive the quality.  My kitchen lighting stinks, and I used my phone camera.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog contents copyright © 2010 Kaffee Klatsch Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
footer2.JPG